For the seitan
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp Vegan beef flavor base
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 1 cup of warm water
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp molasses
- Combine the vital wheat gluten and flavorings then slowly add the warm water mixing as you go. Stop adding water when a dough ball forms.
- Cut the dough ball in half this prevents uneven steaming. Add water to the rice cooker bowl. Then add the dough to the seamer basket of a rice cooker and steam for 30 minutes.
- After the steamer stops open the lid and cool for a few minutes. The cooked seitan will shrink slightly and then you can remove it from the basket.
- Cut up the seitan into strips or bite-size pieces. Next, add the seitan oil and glaze ingredients to the pan and mix and Sauté until done to your liking.