This is a rich dense apple crumb cake with a fall flavor. Take it to a potluck and everyone will want the recipe.
- 1/2 cup cooking margarine
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz vegan cream cheese or sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- grated zest of one lemon
- 6 tsp Energy Egg Replacer beat with 8 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 6 Tbsp cooking margarine
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 apples
- 1 Tbsp cooking margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan and dust with flour.
- Prepare the topping and then set aside: Mix the 1/2 cup margarine with the 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup sugar together until like breadcrumbs. Add the herbs and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Slice the apples and cook in 1 Tbsp margarine until softened. Put aside to cool.
Prepare the batter:
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream the 1/2 cup margarine and the cream cheese or sour cream. Add the sugar half a cup at a time. Add the egg replacer and beat well.
- Combine the flour with the butter mixture, adding 1/3 of it at a time. Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it with a spatula.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture over the batter. Layer the apple slices on top of that, and then cover with the rest of the crumb mixture.
- Bake on the center rack for 50 to 60 minutes. Test with a toothpick. (should come out clean) Transfer cake to a rack and cool completely in pan. Slice and serve.