Decadent Apple Crumb Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan and dust with flour.
- Prepare the topping and then set aside: Mix the ½ cup margarine with the ¾ cup flour and ¾ cup sugar together until like breadcrumbs. Add the herbs and ⅛ tsp salt.
- Slice the apples and cook in 1 tbsp margarine until softened. Put aside to cool.
Prepare the batter:
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream the ½ cup margarine and the cream cheese or sour cream. Add the sugar half a cup at a time. Add the egg replacer and beat well.
- Combine the flour with the butter mixture, adding ⅓ of it at a time. Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it with a spatula.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture over the batter. Layer the apple slices on top of that, and then cover with the rest of the crumb mixture.
- Bake on the center rack for 50 to 60 minutes. Test with a toothpick. (should come out clean) Transfer cake to a rack and cool completely in pan. Slice and serve.