OUT FOR THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
For filling and spread:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz Moo-Free seitan (see recipe) cut into ½-inch strips
- 1½ cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish, divided
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard, divided
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
For french toast bagels:
To make the filling and spread:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the seitan strips and cook until seared, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut, 1 tablespoon of the horseradish, 1 teaspoon of the mustard and the black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
- For the spread, place the avocado, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon horseradish, and remaining 2 teaspoons mustard in a small bowl.
- Mash with a fork until smooth.
To make the french toast bagels:
- Combine the cashews, milk, mustard, sauerkraut juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender.
- Process until smooth and then pour into a shallow dish.
- Stir in the scallion, flour, and baking powder.
- Heat ⅛ inch of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. (These are prone to sticking, so add additional oil if needed.)
- Dip the bagels into the mixture, let the extra batter drip back down into the dish, and transfer to the skillet.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on one side, or until browned.
- Cook the other side the same way.
- Place a bagel half on each plate and spread evenly with the avocado mixture.
- Divide the seitan/sauerkraut mixture evenly among the bagels.
- Put the tops on and serve.