PISTACHIO SPREAD & STRAWBERRY CANAPÉS
- 1 ½ cups dry-roasted, unsalted, shelled pistachios
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp agave nectar or pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup nondairy milk or as needed
- 6 slices whole-grain sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 12 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
To make the spread:
- Place the pistachios, salt, and agave in a blender, or use a handheld blender, or even better, a high-speed blender.
- Begin to blend and pour in just enough milk to obtain a spreadable but not too liquid consistency. You can make it as smooth as you want or leave it a little chunkier.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
To assemble the Canapés:
- Using 2-inch, fun-shaped cookie cutters (hearts, stars, animals), stamp shapes out of the slices of bread. (Waste not, want not: use the remnants of those slices to make bread crumbs!)
- Apply enough pistachio spread to generously cover the whole surface of the bread.
- Top each with a sliced strawberry, and serve.