Most vegans can admit that cheese and dairy were one of the biggest things to give up – apart from bacon. Well here’s a recipe for a creamy, “cheesy” and “meaty” hamburger mac and cheese. Yes, you heard right. This mac and cheese feature a vegan minced meat substitute that has an amazing meaty texture so that you won’t miss the meat at all.
What makes it cheesy you might ask? That would be a vegan favorite and pantry essential known as nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast flakes give a yummy cheesy flavor to any dish and not to mention that it adds vital and essential proteins to the vegan diet. The addition of vegan shredded yellow cheddar cheese also added to cheesiness and not to mention the creamy texture.
Beef-flavored soy protein was used as the “hamburger” aspect. Some might shy away from soy because of dietary reasons or maybe just out of preference. If this is you, then feel free to omit it altogether or use another meat substitute like tempeh or even crumbled tofu.
This recipe is going to make dinner nights that much easier as this is a dish that both kids and adults alike can enjoy. Enjoy the recipe:
Vegan Hamburger Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup Soy Protein (rehydrated)
- 1 cup Vegan Ketchup
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To a skillet, add coconut oil and heat over medium heat. Add rehydrated soy protein and let brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add ketchup, water, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat all the soy pieces and allow the mixture to cook until thick.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- To a saucepot, bring the pasta water to a boil and season with a generous amount of salt. Add the pasta and let cook according to the package or until al dente.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and allow it to melt. Now that the butter has melted, add the flour and stir to combine the flour and butter until it forms a roux. Cook this for 1 minute to cook off the flour taste.
- Add the milk and stir to combine with the flour and butter mixture. Allow it to cook until it begins to thicken.
- Season the sauce with the nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Add the shredded cheese and allow it to melt over medium low heat.
- Drain your pasta and add it to the cheese sauce along with a couple tablespoons of your “hamburger” meat mix. Turn the heat off and stir to combine.