We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
To ensure an adequate supply of nutrients and calories, a raw vegan pantry may need a little bit more attention than the regular pantry. Stocking a raw vegan pantry may depend on your preferences but usually putting a raw vegan pantry together can be quite daunting. Whether you’re new to the raw vegan diet or you’re merely restocking your pantry, the following tips should give you an idea of what you should be working to achieve, add to what you already know or support it.
1. Pantry space
The first thing you need is a pantry space with a couple of glass jars for storage. If you already got one, get rid of old foods, ensure it’s clean and dry. Avoid plastic bottles as they can leach chemicals into your food.
We selected some pantry storage containers you might like.
2. Get your supplies: Basic Raw Pantry Staples
After creating space for the pantry, it’s time to stock it up but before any purchase, ensure you have your shopping list to avoid being overwhelmed with choices, forgetting what you need or simply overspending.
Ensure you purchase all fresh and organic products especially fruits and vegetables from the local farmers or food store. If organic foods are not within your budget for some reason, ensure you clean your produce correctly to ensure you get rid of as many chemicals as you can. You can do this by soaking your fruits and vegetables in apple cider vinegar or soda bicarbonate then rinsing them thoroughly after a few minutes.
3. Store your items in different food groups such as:
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts and seeds are a good source of healthy fats, proteins, and other essential nutrients. Ensure you include your favorite nuts and seeds in your pantry for daily benefits.
- A variety to choose from include; walnuts, hemp hearts, Chia seeds, flax seeds, pine nuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, cashew nuts, and sunflower seeds.
- You can also include different kinds of butter such as almond butter, cashew nut butter, Tahiti, etc. Take note some of these items once opened, should be refrigerated.
Stick to labels with “cold-pressed” whether it’s cold-pressed olive oil, flax oil, coconut oil or sunflower oil.
Fruits and vegetables
The best place to store your fruits and vegetables will be your refrigerator. However you must avoid canned fruits and vegetables as these tend to leak chemicals into the food, are high in sodium and contain different chemical preservatives.
Organic produce from the market is good, but not even your local organic farmer’s market can match homegrown food you use hours after picking and hasn’t been artificially ripened. Learn how to start a vegan organic garden by reading our article on veganic gardening.
Dehydrated fruits and vegetables
Dried fruits such as apple, pears, apricot, pawpaw, kiwi, strawberries can act as a healthy snack but take note of any added sugars.
If you buy too much fruit or veggies you can always try dehydrating them. This is an excellent way to store your extra garden produce.
Here are a few food dehydrators on Amazon.
Flavorings, seasonings, and sweeteners are such a great way to try different raw vegan recipes.
You can select whatever suits your preference such as herbs, spices, salt, pepper, raw and organic honey alternatives, maple syrup, rice syrup, etc.
One great way to keep your spices organized and ready to use is a spice rack organizer on Amazon. They are so useful I got two!
- Grains are an essential part of the raw vegan diet as they provide the needed calories and nutrients.
- Sprouts will make the grains bioavailable and easy to digest but ensure it’s appropriately done to avoid mold formation.
- The best sprouts to include in your raw vegan pantry consists of those of; Millet, lentils, buckwheat, peas, kidney beans, and chickpeas.
Have some plant-based milk on hand, such as almond or soy
- You can purchase these at an organic store or make yours at home.
- You can also play with different flavors such as vanilla, strawberry or chocolate.
We found this Automatic plant milk maker its a bit pricy but worth it if you drink a lot of plant milk and are always in a rush. Always keep an eye on the dates to ensure nothing has gone wrong and once in a while circulate your foods from the back of the pantry to ensure nothing gets forgotten.
Another tip is to buy all fresh products at the same time as this will make it easy to note when the food is dated-out.