Onion Ring Ranchocado
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 tsp minced fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
For Onion Rings
- 1 cup vegan beer chilled
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus more if needed
- canola oil for cooking
- 12 ¾ in wide large sweet onion rings separated
- 2 crusty ciabatta rolls cut in half and toasted
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 slices tomato
- sriracha for serving
To make the spread:
- In a blender, combine the avocado, mayonnaise, vinegar, and shallot.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the herbs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To make the onion rings:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the beer, sriracha, liquid smoke, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth. The mixture should coat the onion ring well without dripping off.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour or beer if needed.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Heat 1-inch canola oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, dip the onion rings into the mixture, then slide into the hot oil. The oil should sizzle but not ripple. Adjust the heat if necessary. Be careful not to crowd the pan or the oil temperature will drop.
- Cook the onion rings for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on the baking sheet.
- Keep warm in the oven until all are cooked.
- Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread the sauce on the inside of the rolls.
- Layer on the lettuce, then the tomatoes.
- Top with the onion rings.
- Pass the extra sriracha at the table.