Spinach, Coconut and Lentil Dahl
- 200 g red split lentils green work ok
- 400 ml water
- 400 ml coconut milk about one can
- 250 g finely chopped onion
- 75 g margarine
- 5 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 4 thick slices of fresh ginger
- 450 g chopped tomatoes about one can
- 300 g spinach
- 1 juice large lime
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 tsp salt more if needed
- sour cream
- Fry the onion in the margarine. Add half of the garlic, cumin, mustard seeds. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the turmeric and chili.
- Add the lentils, water, coconut milk, ginger, tomatoes, and spinach. Bring to simmer. Cook until lentils have dissolved. About 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in vegan sour cream to desired taste at the end. Eat with rice and vegan samosas.