- 4 cups warm (105-115°) water
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup honey alternative
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil (or 2 Tbsp liquid lecithin)
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 non-dairy milk powder
- 1 Tbsp orange rind
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- ground coriander
- a drizzle of honey alternative
- date sugar
- chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are best)
- Place the warm water, yeast, honey, lemon juice, oil, soy flour, 2 cups unbleached flour, milk, orange rind and salt in a large mixing bowl (Bosch mixer is ideal) Stir until mixed through.
- Add the 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour and 6 cups whole wheat flour. Add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for 8 minutes. Add the raisins.
- Knead just until raisins are mixed in. Turn out onto the floured board. Divide dough into four equal pieces and roll each section into a rectangle about 20″ x 8″.
- Lightly sprinkle each rectangle with coriander, date sugar, honey and nuts.
- Form dough into tight lengthwise rolls. Cut into 1″ sections using dental floss. Place on greased jelly roll pans (or cookie sheets), with a cut side down. Cover and let rise until double. Bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes or until rolls begin to brown. Remove from pans and place on wire racks with top side down. Drizzle with sweet roll topping. (see sweet roll topping recipe)