Vegan White Bean Soup
- 1 16-oz cannellini beans, can
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried
- 3 cup boiling water
- Puree about ¾ of the beans, adding a little water if necessary, to create a smooth creamy paste.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Stir in the onion and cook until it softens. Add the carrot and celery. (you may like to sweat the carrots and celery in a tiny amount of oil before hand) Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and thyme. Cook for 6-8 minutes more, stirring often.
- Pour in the boiling water. Use more for a runnier soup. Stir in the beans and the bean puree. Season with salt. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve in individual bowls and sprinkle over a little olive oil.