APRICOT BREAKFAST PANINI
For Quick Apricot Jam
- 12 oz fresh apricots halved, pitted, and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried sweetened tart cherries
- ⅜ cup fresh orange juice, divided ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons
- 1-2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 slices (½ in thick) Cinnamon Swirl Bread (see recipe)
- 2 tbsp non dairy butter
- ¼ cup non dairy cream cheese
To make the Jam:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apricots, cherries, ¼ cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon of the agave, and nutmeg.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and allow the apricots to break down some, 4 to 5 minutes. It should be chunky, but not have large pieces of fruit.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the cornstarch.
- Add to the mixture and stir until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Taste and add the remaining 1 tablespoon agave if needed.
- The jam thickens as it cools, so make it ahead of time and refrigerate in an airtight container until you're ready to use it.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Preheat a panini press.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- On the unbuttered sides, spread 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of the jam (you will have extra jam leftover; save it for another use). Try to keep the jam away from the edges of the bread so it will not seep out.
- Put the top slice of bread on so that both the buttered sides are facing out.
- Close the panini press and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.