MEXICAN CHICK-UN AND WAFFLES
For waffles and gravy:
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn, divided
- 2 tbsp non dairy butter, melted
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp seeded, minced jalepeño
- canola oil, non-stick cooking spray for cooking
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into half-moons
- ½ small onion, cut into half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the wine, chipotle, and spices in an 8 x 12-inch pan.
- Add the tofu, turning to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
- In a blender, combine the milk, ½ cup of the corn, butter, oil, syrup, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ¼ cup corn and the jalapeño.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cook the waffles according to the waffle iron instructions using nonstick cooking spray.
- Keep waffles warm in the oven.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with canola oil and heat over medium heat.
- Drain the tofu, reserving any marinade, and cook until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Cook the other side for about 4 minutes.
- Keep warm in the oven.
- In the same skillet, combine the olive oil, poblano, and onion.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- Add the garlic.
- Add the broth and cornstarch to the tofu marinade.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add to the skillet and whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add more chipotle, if desired.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Break the waffles into quarters.
- Place a quarter on each plate and top with 2 pieces of tofu and some gravy.
- Top with the second waffle and tomatoes and avocado.