- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp grated orange peel
- Put flax seeds with 1/2 cup milk in a blender. Let soak for five minutes.
- In a small skillet toast the poppy seeds over low heat until fragrant- stirring constantly, about 2-3 minutes, then let cool.
- In a large bowl mix the flours, baking powder, salt and cardamom and stir in the seeds.
- Add to the blender the maple syrup, orange juice, vanilla, oil, and the remaining soy milk and blend. Add the orange peel and pulse to combine.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add maple mixture. Fill cupcakes 3/4 each. Bake at 350F 17-20 minutes.
Decorate the top with a twirl of orange peel.