- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegan honey substitute
- 1/2 lb tofu
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour
- sprinkle of cornmeal
- Mix the yeast, 1 cup warm water and honey in a large bowl. Let stand for up to 8 minutes, until frothy.
- Blend the tofu, 1/2 cup water, and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour this into the foaming yeast mixture along with 3 Tbsp oil.
- Add 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 and 1/2 cups white. Stir until smooth. Mix in 1 and 1/2 cups more white flour to make a smooth dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes. Let the dough rise in an oiled bowl until double in bulk. Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll each half out onto a generous amount of cornmeal, to 1/2″ thick. Cut into 3″ circles and let rise ten minutes.
- Place the muffins on a dry griddle to cook. Cook on low for 5-8 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.