- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp rosewater (optional but extra nice if you have it)
- Start with the syrup. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the rosewater.
- Mix together the nuts, icing sugar, and cardamom.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- Brush a cookie sheet with vegan cooking margarine. Taking one sheet of filo pastry at a time, and keeping the remainder covered with a damp cloth, brush with melted margarine and layer on the bottom of the cookie sheet. Continue until you have 6 buttered layers.
- Spread half of the nut mixture over the pastry and press it down with a spoon. Layer on another 6 sheets of filo pastry, being sure both sides are well buttered each time.
- Pour the rest of the nut mixture on the pastry and press down. Cover with another 6 sheets of buttered filo pastry.
- Cut the pastry into small diamond/lozenge shapes. Bake for 20 minutes on 325°F, then increase the heat to 400°F and bake for 15 more minutes. (until light and golden in color, and puffed).
- Remove from the oven and pour the syrup all over the pastry. Leave to cool, and serve.