This is wonderful all year round but is especially enjoyed with the Persian New Year, March 21st, celebrating the first day of Spring.
- 3 cups ground pistachios, or ground pecans
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp cardamom
- 2/3 cup vegan cooking margarine
- 1lb filo pastry
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp rosewater (optional but extra nice if you have it)
- Start with the syrup. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the rosewater.
- Mix together the nuts, icing sugar, and cardamom.
- pre-heat the oven to 325F.
- Brush a cookie sheet with vegan cooking margarine. Taking one sheet of filo pastry at a time, and keeping the remainder covered with a damp cloth, brush with melted margarine and layer on the bottom of the cookie sheet. Continue until you have six buttered layers.
- Spread half of the nut mixture over the pastry and press it down with a spoon. Layer on another 6 sheets of filo pastry, being sure both sides are well buttered each time.
- Pour the rest of the nut mixture on the pastry and press down. Cover with another 6 sheets of buttered filo pastry.
- Cut the pastry into small diamond/lozenge shapes. Bake for 20 minures on 325F, then increase the heat to 400F and bake for 15 more minutes. (until light and golden in color, and puffed).
- Remove fro the oven and pour the syrup all over the pastry. Leave to cool, and serve.
This is a more skilled and time consuming recipe, but it is well worth the effort. I made this one for my sister-in-laws baby shower and it was a big hit! Everyone wanted the recipe so here it is!